How to properly use a waiter style corkscrew.
July 09, 2020/0 Comments/by ABV
Valenzano Winery uses a synthetic style cork on many of our wines. Synthetic corks have the advantage of never containing TCA (cork taint), so a bad cork will never cause our wines to spoil. The disadvantage of a synthetic cork is that they tend to be more stiff than natural corks at colder temperatures. For this reason we recommend the following when uncorking a bottle:
- We always encourage everyone to experience the pleasure of properly using a waiter style corkscrew. We highly recommend the Crescendo Corkscrew by Franmara. We believe this is the best screw ever made and can be purchased from Amazon for under $9.00
- Do not leave wines at cold temperature for a long time. Cool is fine, cold stiffens the cork considerably. Your best bet is to uncork a bottle and then chill it on ice. If you want to chill the wine first try not to ice the cork. The colder the cork is - the more firm it will become and you risk chipping the neck of the bottle if you do not use proper form.
- Even with a cold cork, you should always be able to easily uncork a bottle when using proper form. Remember to use your thumb to hold the lever in place as shown in the video below.
- Don't worry if you 'screw' up. Just bring your damaged bottle or corkscrew to the winery and we will replace it for you free of charge and give you a quick in-person tutorial on how to easily open any bottle of wine.
- How Do I Reserve A Private Tent For WineFestNJ 2020
- Loyalty Rewards & VIP Memberships now available! Sign up today for instant savings on Valenzano Wines.
- Mother's Day Picnic 2020 Tickets Now Available at the winery tasting room.
- Listen to Anthony Valenzano & Jack Tomasello on Eat, Drink & Be Marilyn Podcast
- Brotherton Brewing Company set to open new headquarters and tasting room.